Thursday, March 22, 2012

Philosophy and DotA

I believe you need something to live for in your life, it's not a secret what I've chosen. I've chosen a game that I find endlessly interesting and exciting. It's DotA. Alongside with DotA I'm also going to highschool. My main classes are English, Society Science and Philosophy. Out of those three subjects my favourite one is philosophy, I've always been thinking a lot about everything and I've always wanted to understand what other people think.
This leads me back to DotA, thinking and understanding your enemy is the best way to win a game, if you understand your enemies next move then you'll be able to foresee it and do a countermove. This also means if you want to be unbeatable you'll have to do things that the enemy can't predict, every move has a countermove therefore you'll need to do things your enemy wont think of.
The reason my favourite game is DotA and my favourite class is philosophy is because those two things have so many things in common. There's endless ways to play a DotA game as there's endless ways to think about how the world works. The most common thing to do in DotA right now is push, as I see it the most succesful teams currently do clash oriented lineups with heroes that have the possibility of pushing effectively and fast after the clash. This is the reason why heroes such as leshrac are rising in popularity.

Inside my head I do sometimes try to take DotA and split it apart, I take all the pieces of DotA, remove the uneccesary ones and try to find the core. I've figured out the core is to kill the enemies base (their ancient) therefore this sort of gameplay makes a lot of sense but it's also very obvious that this is not the only way to win. As I've said before it's best to do the unpredictable. To do unpredictable things in DotA you'll have to step away from the "top tier heroes". Doing this is hard, it's very hard, you'll very quickly be tempted to take heroes such as shadow shaman, leshrac etc. the reason you want to do this is because you've seen others do it with great succes, you might have tried this yourself and had great succes therefore it's very hard to step outside of the box that is created by the proffesional teams.
I've always wanted to make a project with 5 committed players that agree with me and also want to take the game apart and make it all over. I want to think the game all over, rethink everything and I'll then get down to why you pick supports, why you get carries and why you push. To become the best DotA player of all time it's neccesary to understand why you do certain things.
I've always thought DotA in a rather "irrational" way, at least others would say so. But as everyone else I'm not perfect, I want to play the game in a special way and that's the main reason why I avoid hardcarries. As most teams play right now they're not very neccesary to the game. The best carries are the carries that peak in the midgame, heroes such as riki, mirana etc. carries that can attend the game early. I want to think irrational thoughts, I wanna get out of the box and I want to invent new strategies.

-Ivz

Please leave a comment! :)
Feel free to contact me on IRC if you want to talk to this, I'm Ivz @ Quakenet and I idle in #TPOC.DotA

No comments:

Post a Comment