Saturday, March 31, 2012

Getting Recognized in the DotA Community.

I'm not a big name, I'm not the best player and I'm rarely recognized by anyone. I can't say I don't care, obviously I do care - I aim to become the best player out there, it's a tough goal to have, but I think I'll be able to stand my ground.
However, some players will recognize me. Some will see me as an idiot, some will not care, some does not have an opinion, others see another random "high skilled" player. Other see a friend. One of the way to get recognized in the DotA community is simply to be a nice guy, play your game and do your best always.
My biggest way to improve have always been my way of thinking, I think outside the box. At times I feel like I see the game in a completely different way. I've always played with a very specific mindset: "If I lose, it's my fault - Not my teams, I need to improve. I need to be able to win alone if it's needed"
This might not be true. Sometimes you can't do anything, sometimes your team is simply doing bad. But avoid thinking about your team, especially in public games. It doesn't help flaming your team, it'll only reduce their self-esteem and they'll get worse.
I know quite a few good players, I also know mediocre players that could be good players if they would believe in themself. To be the best, you have to believe in yourself, every game you play you'll have to say to yourself: "I'm the best, I'm better than Dendi, I'm better than Maelk and Arstyle is purely the biggest noob and I can own him easily." (This is obviously not what I think, but it's what you have to make yourself believe during the game). I've played against pro teams, I've seen my teammates tilt totally due to simply seeing the name of the opponent, those players are not gods, they're beatable.

Anyone is beatable, everyone can improve and you can ALWAYS, ALWAYS get better.
There's a lot of ways to improve yourself, obviously there's self-esteem but you'll also have to put yourself in the place of the enemy, what would you do in their situation. How would you react? If you can respond to their move before they even think about doing it, then you'll succeed.
Some people might say DotA is about one small thing 'Being the fastest to find the most logical move' I'm not exactly sure if I agree. If you can understand the logic of your enemy you'll be able to counter it, therefore having a weird logic will simply give you more power in DotA which means you should ALWAYS think outside the box, use weird strats, use different heroes and always be able to pull off something different than your last game.
DotA is the most complex game in the world, there's so many possibilitys and so many ways to understand the game.

-Ivz

As always, feel free to message me on IRC. I'm Ivz @ Quakenet :)

No comments:

Post a Comment